I have been wanting to try this recipe even since I first pinned it on Pinterest. Finally got around to it on Friday and have to say, it's amazing. I had a great little helper, really mess maker, but all turned out well. This recipe makes two loaves so one for you and one to give away if you choose.
Also, because I want to give credit to the original author of this recipe, here is the link:
I apologize for the quality of the photos. These were taken with my IPhone. I just wasn't in the mood to pull out the good camera while working in the kitchen with a two year old. There are much better photos as the source which can be viewed at the link above.
Pumpkin Banana Bread
- 5 c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 c. mashed banana (about 3 large)
- 2 1/2 c. pumpkin puree
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. honey
- 2/3 c. canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 T. large crystal decorating sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease two 9″ X 5″ loaf pans. Mash the banana with a potato masher or back of a fork.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl.
- Add the pumpkin, sugar, honey, oil, and eggs to the mashed banana.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. (Do not over-mix!)
- Divide the batter between the two loaf pans, sprinkle the tops with large crystal decorating sugar
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45-60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
*I forgot to add the decorating sugar but they taste fine without it. It's not necessarily a need so if you don't have any it's okay.
My original intent was to make two loaves so I could have one at home and then take the other to work. That idea was gone as the boys devoured an entire loaf within 24 hours. I'd say this was a successful baking session and one I will do again soon.